Do Not Sell My Personal Information
RugbyDump RugbyDump
Wednesday Mar 6, 2013

Midweek Madness - Rob Cook's bizarre goal kicking technique

Midweek Madness - Rob Cook's bizarre goal kicking technique
Comments

Gloucester fullback Rob Cook has been causing quite a stir in the Aviva Premiership with his unorthodox goal kicking style, that despite an impressive success rate, is usually greeted with abuse and laughter. Here’s a look at him in action.

Cook, who joined Gloucester from Cornish Pirates last summer, has been the center of attention of late as regular goal kicker Freddie Burns has been out injured. It hasn’t taken long for home and opposition fans to take notice of a kicking stance that involves varying degrees of awkwardness.

A while back Jonny Wilkinson set the trend, and proved the concept, that players should be consistent and completely still before they get into their kicking stride. Cook clearly followed suit, but took it to another level, as he explained recently.

“I’ve looked through the years at my technique, and it just gets worse and worse – I’ll probably be sat down soon!” Cook said.

“A lot of people ask me about it: if I start kicking badly I might have to change it, but at the moment it’s working alright. It is a big part of my game, if I’m kicking well then I feel as though I will be playing well too. I enjoy it and I’ll just keep working hard at it,” he added.

Team mate Jonny May finds it as amusing as anyone else, but says that he enjoys Cook’s success.

“His stance is stupid, isn’t it? The first thing he does before he kicks is stand up normally anyway. I always ask him why he doesn’t just stand there, but he hit everything over today [vs Northampton recently], so it’s whatever works for him.

“Since he’s joined us I’ve been waiting to see what the reaction of the fans would be.

“It was brilliant when he took those place kicks and they were laughing at him, but he just kept slotting them over. I was laughing to myself at him shutting them up,” May added.

Below is a quick mash up of some of his more amusing kicks so far this season

18 Comments

• gonzoman
    3:30 PM 11/03/2013

You think that's bizarre? Have a look at Jamie Soward, from the NRL. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbfBBIp3Ybg Cook is tame by comparison, but both remind me of Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks sketch...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w

• jimothy
    11:01 AM 10/03/2013

It was aimed at the few, not the many.

• mise
    3:50 AM 10/03/2013

@jimothy Don't think telling ppl to shut up is apt really - comments have been fairly sympathetic I'd say. @rob His style is idiosyncratic, for sure, but every now and then someone with a unique affectation or emphasis happens upon something that actually work .Obvious example is (not so much Wilko) as the changeover from forward to backwards in high jump. That was counter-intuitive until science spent some time looking and found it to be completely sensible and of course scientific. Still, I don't know enough about the ergo-dynamics (?) of the whole thing to say much more....

• jimothy
    10:56 AM 09/03/2013

I'm constantly amazed by the keyboard professionals who comment on this website. This guy is getting paid to play the game at the top level in this country and you think you have the right to comment on how he should kick! Unless you've charged down one of his kicks or smashed him in a tackle and whispered in his ear, you look like a di*k when you kick, shut up!

• jimothy
    10:53 AM 09/03/2013

Thank God there are people on this site to correct the rugby professionals and all the coaches on how to do it properly! So how is your rugby career going?

• kadova
    12:41 AM 08/03/2013

That's fantastic ! The way he walks to the ball...lol ! I'm like others here, as long as the ball splits the posts...

• 12:07 AM 08/03/2013

Haters gonna hate! Go on with your bad bent over self Cookie!

• 9:51 PM 07/03/2013

i train with rob cook once or twice a week at my club he is a great bloke and a quality goal kicker and player.

• guy
    5:08 PM 07/03/2013

I wouldn't mind if he put the ball on it's side, as long as he hits the target.

• sankeor
    5:03 PM 07/03/2013

Can't say I like it... The only moment I place the ball horizontally is for torpedo kicks.

• jadawin
    2:19 PM 07/03/2013

There are rules about aesthetics ? In this case, the style of Johnny Wilkinson is even worse.

• matt
    2:16 PM 07/03/2013

It's quite similar to Stephan Jone's positioning

• connachtman
    12:31 PM 07/03/2013

"You've got Haemorrhoids!!" Brilliant.

• sankeor
    3:39 AM 07/03/2013

IMO the starting position doesn't matter as long as he scores, but I would be him I would be embarassed to look so ridiculous. No, what bothers me REALLY is the way he tilts the ball towards the posts when it's on the tee. It's nearly horizontal ! In theory (at least according to what I've been taught) the ball should have a nice backward spin when kicked (and no matters if it's a conversion or a clearance kick), hence the ball should be close to the vertical and hit at the lower end. Here we can see that Cook kicks it as if it were a rocket. The spin is laborious, the trajectory is too flat and IMO the kicks would be unaccurate if kicked by anybody else, even by Wilco. But if they say he has an impressive success rate... good for him !

• ronan
    12:44 AM 07/03/2013

Jonny Wilkinson has a lot to answer for......

• paimoe
    12:27 AM 07/03/2013

Pretty funny looking, but as long as the kicks went over, I wouldn't mind if my team's kickers did a dance or a cartwheel

• guy
    12:02 AM 07/03/2013

Does he ever get a conversion charged down? Seems to take quite a long time to get to the ball... Overall: nice to see something different.

• asdfero
    11:35 PM 06/03/2013

"How would you describe that? Constipated..." AHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Amateur

Player Features

Midweek Madness - Rob Cook's bizarre goal kicking technique | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos