Monday May 12, 2014

Niko Matawalu beats Stuart Hogg in footrace to deny him a hat-trick

Niko Matawalu beats Stuart Hogg in footrace to deny him a hat-trick
Comments

Glasgow Warriors secured their RaboDirect PRO12 home semi-final in style with a 54-0 thrashing of Zebre on Saturday. There was an amusing moment in the first half when two players from the same side competed against one another to score a try.

It was Glasgow’s eigth win in a row, setting up a semi-final meeting with Munster this coming Friday night. They scored five tries after just 22 minutes, ending the first half at 40-0.

Stuart Hogg, who made his first appearance at Scotstoun in seven matches, started the game well as he crossed for a well worked try just 45 seconds into the match.

The bonus point was secured after twenty minutes and Hogg scored his second of the match.

On a hat-trick, the 21-year-old British & Irish Lions back had a chance at picking up his third before halftime, but was thwarted by speedster Niko Matawalu, who refused to give up the footrace despite Hogg remonstrating for him to leave it alone.

It was a bizarre, albeit amusing situation as the dynamic Fijian got his fingertips to the ball first, denying Hogg the honour of a hat-trick. He didn’t look as amused as the 5000 fans on hand.

Matawalu scored again later in the match, adding the Warriors’ eighth try on a night that will have given them great confidence going into the playoff game against the more challenging Munster side.

Should Matawalu have left it for Hogg, or do you think he was worried that the Scotland fullback wouldn’t get there, or he simply didn’t hear or see him?

– View Highlights wrap (page two)
– Photo of Hogg and Matawalu post match

Full match highlights from Glasgow Warriors vs Zebre from Scotstoun

As you can see, there’s are no hard feelings between Hogg and Matawalu

Thanks to @RaboDirectPRO12

20 Comments

drg

So if I dawdle up the field to the 5 metre line with my team doing the work, where they continue to knock on the oppo door, would it be fair to say that if I sprint back to the half way line (bear in mind I'm a second row/back row) and in this scenario I have done nothing so far) and then back to the ruck again that I deserve the try because I have run further than anyone else? Even though I was not part of the effort to get to the try line in the first place? I mean granted, Hogg just fly hacked the ball on, so he didn't make the biggest effort (I think the first time I viewed it, I incorrectly thought HE was the one that kicked the ball through the first time as well!!!) but he perhaps did a BIT more than Niko...

• Notice: Trying to get property 'data' of non-object in /var/www/html/php/vo/Comment.php on line 19
  • In fairness to niko, I think he thought the ball might cross the dead ball line. Someone mentioned Hogg did the work, deserved the try. I disagree, niko ran just as far, maybe further. Understand Hoggs reaction but it's still disappointing, not really the team ethos

danknapp

Fair dinkum to the other fella. He's put in a fair bit of dodge and shirk for that piece of meat, and if Hogg didn't have the ham and eggs to get there first then fair play. They're still mates at the end of the day, just two blokes having a bloody good ding-dong and nothing a couple of tinnies in the near and far after the game wouldn't fix. Jeez-Louise, if someone tried that on me I'd have to give him a big old German band, fair play to 'im.

drg

I think in the heat of the moment one could forgive Hogg for being mildly pissed off. I know we play a team sport, but sometimes you think it's nice to get your name on the score sheet as a result of your efforts etc. I had a similar situation where I hit a player hard on a kick off, he spilled the ball, I hacked it on and had to beat my own team mate in a footrace to the ball as it sat nicely over the try line - Fortunately I had the legs, but at the time I was thinking, 'you cheeky git, that was MY try and you know it' afterwards I could see he was just trying to make sure the ball got dotted down whether it was him or me that did it.

drg

In all fairness to Hogg, he probably is the only attacking player out of a 23 man squad 90% of the time..

eddie-g

I'd pay to hear the Honey Badger's take on this.

stroudos

Excellent rant, pissing myself laughing! Not sure you can legitimately claim to be "not a Hogg-hater" though......

stroudos

Ha ha! Spot on mate!! Unless of course your team enforces jug purchases for hat-trick scorers...

gonzoman

Nah, if I were chasing a ball and one of my mates tried to wave me off because he wanted a hat trick I'd score, then tell him he should have been faster. By the same token, if I was running in untouched and a mate was beside me calling for the ball so he could complete his hat trick you can bet your britches I'd hold on to the ball and score myself.

ronan

bold bold bold boy... should have left it.... tut tut tut..

ollie

Serves him right for hogging all the tries...

• anyone else think the centre lost the ball before the line for the 5th try???

• seemingly no hard feelings, was surely some bet going on or something, but what a wanker all the same...is there anything worse than a poacher? https://twitter.com/RaboDirectPRO12/status/465550894265024512/photo/1

• What a wanker!

tphillipsstl

did no media ask them about this after the match? If something like this would have happened in any sport in the US reporters would be all over both of them in the post-game. Is there no q&a with the players following the match?

daluaine

Surely Hogg's ball? He kicked it ahead and there was no opposition. I think if it was me I would have picked Matawalu up and rammed him into the hoardings again!! Mind you, I did play prop so would have already been back on the halfway line waiting for the kick-off!!

mattyj

bit unfair since hogg did all the work plus who doesn't want a hatrick

kefaloskev

Knowing the Scottish reputation for being "parsimonious" he was doing Hogg a favour. Would have cost him a jug for a hat trick but this way he can't even be done for jug avoidance!!

cheyanqui

Hogg to him to suck it...

stroudos

That's hilarious, what a bastard! Looked like it was done in the name of banter to me, but Hogg looked like he was fuming though - wonder if there's some subtext/previous involved?? Nearly backfired though didn't it - how close was he to "splitting his heid" on the metal bar behind that loose ad hoarding?

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Training Videos

Player Features

Niko Matawalu beats Stuart Hogg in footrace to deny him a hat-trick | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos