Do Not Sell My Personal Information
RugbyDump RugbyDump
Thursday Feb 23, 2017

Rieko Ioane gets hat-trick in Blues Super Rugby opener win over Rebels

Rieko Ioane gets hat-trick in Blues Super Rugby opener win over Rebels
Comments

Young star Rieko Ioane scored three tries as the Blues put away the Rebels in the opening Super Rugby 2017 match in Melbourne earlier today. The 19-year-old showed how potent the Blues midfield will be this year, with Rene Ranger on the bench and Sonny Bill Williams still set to return.

Unfortunately for Ranger his time on the field was short lived, as he came on late in the game and left just as quickly, yellow carded for an infringement at the breakdown.

The 56-18 victory included seven tries, and one great individual effort in particular from scrum half Augustine Pulu. Fly half Ihaia West contributed six conversions and two penalties.

The Blues won’t want to get too excited too soon, but it was a brilliant start to their campaign.

Catch up on a post match chat with tryscorer Ioane below

14 Comments

• stroudos
    7:23 AM 25/02/2017

Yeah but Rene Ranger's piss-take the following week was even better!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtJJCvnI3N0

• dancarter
    9:01 PM 24/02/2017

I think the Digby Ioane turtle/caterpillar celebration is brilliant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRn0X8gC-fQ

• im1
    4:40 PM 24/02/2017

is there another A.Goode?

• drg
    2:21 PM 24/02/2017

I'd say some of the Scottish players are pulling in some exciting rugby, Hogg could be capable of it perhaps, Nowell maybe too?

• drg
    2:20 PM 24/02/2017

Hahaha, yeh I can make exceptions. To me I think it's more the celebrations after one perhaps we'll worked try with still another 40 mins to go that get me.... ...If you're racking up hat tricks or scoring final minute winning scores then celebrate away... The one that comes to mind is that pile of Welsh man love after Williams scored a try from an admittedly we'll worked move... It wasn't Williams fault he became the centre of attention for a bunch of testosterone filled blokes, but when the final score fell in England favour is sort of makes being raped in the try zone seem a little less tolerable...

• stroudos
    1:57 PM 24/02/2017

I assume/hope you mean Andy. https://www.facebook.com/AndyGoodeforthe2017Lions/

• im1
    11:44 AM 24/02/2017

A. Goode could

• rugbydump
    10:33 AM 24/02/2017

You don't see the old air-ukulele too often! He definitely earned it.

• jimmy23
    8:47 AM 24/02/2017

It's a mixture of both I reckon. In all seriousness though, can you think of ANY Northern Hemisphere player who could genuinely be capable of pulling off a try like that? George North on a good day perhaps? Mike Brown if he had his 2014 form? This is where the main gulf between NZ and the rest are I reckon. NZ just continually produce people that have that ability to beat players. Backs in particular. Julian Savea, Nene Milner Skudder, Ben Smith, Waisake Naholo, Leonard Brown, Malakai Fekitoa, Beuden Barrett. All these guys and more are potential players for the All Blacks and you could safely bet that at some point during a game, they're going to school someone. Which players in say England or Ireland now could you say had a good chance of beating multiple players from a GOOD team in one go in a game?

• stroudos
    8:34 AM 24/02/2017

I'm very much in the DrG/larry camp when it comes to preference for muted celebrations and a polite nod to one's team-mates, rather than the silly gesticulation and prancing about that is so popular these days. However, as in any other situation, I'll always make an exception for a bit of air guitar. Not only that but a gently strummed air-ukulele I can definitely handle. Only after scoring a hat-trick though, you've got to earn the right to pull out the old air-ukulele.

• stroudos
    8:25 AM 24/02/2017

I reckon you're right Jimmy, probably won't make any difference, but it is sometimes hard to tell isn't it? The try just after the 2:00 mark, for example - did I count FIVE missed tackles there? Shite defence or deceptive speed/power and elusive running? Pretty sure he'll be shredding far better defences soon enough.

• jimmy23
    9:54 PM 23/02/2017

Dear NZ, Could you go one year without producing some rugby freak of nature? Sincerely, the rest of the world. Though we'll need to see how he fairs against a defence that doesn't resemble a colander. I imagine it won't have much effect.

• dancarter
    7:24 PM 23/02/2017

He looks like he will be tormenting defenses in an All Blacks jersey soon, he shredded the Rebels today. If the SBW-Ioane partnership blossoms it could soon be a centre pairing for NZ.

• 10stonenumber10
    5:12 PM 23/02/2017

Told you.

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Amateur

Player Features

Rieko Ioane gets hat-trick in Blues Super Rugby opener win over Rebels | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos