Do Not Sell My Personal Information
RugbyDump RugbyDump
Wednesday Sep 14, 2016

U9 kid goes into BEAST MODE and nobody can do a thing about it!

U9 kid goes into BEAST MODE and nobody can do a thing about it!
Comments

Yesterday we received a video from a guy in Australia, Moroni Martin, who was filming at an Under 9’s tournament in Canberra and happened to see this little beast in action. The guys at USA7s put a quick video together, and that has since gone epicly viral.

The video features a young player named Meaalofa ‘Rayson’ Te’o absolutely demolishing the opposition, showing great power, speed and even stepping on his way to scoring a number of tries.

His team, the Doveton Steelers from Dandenong in Victoria, made it to the grand final of the gala day in Canberra and won the match 20-10, and according to one of those in attendance, “The team was humble, talented and showed amazing sportsmanship”.

As with all things that go viral on the internet, this too brought out a lot of haters, which is unfortunate as the little guy was just doing his job, and by all accounts has been incredibly humble.

As said by the man that captured the footage, “He uses his strengths to his advantage, as do the other kids, and when both get to have opportunities to play to their strengths they feel good about themselves. This is a very short clip that only shows some of his more obvious strengths.

“But not all tackles are made, not all tries are scored – that is just part of sport. Teach them it’s ok! As an adult it is never ok to put any of the kids down.

“The best assessment comes from people who were there and as mentioned, it was a great game and all the kids were smiles at the end of it.”

If the facebook video above does not work for you, you can see it on page two here

15 Comments

• jimothy
    10:17 PM 18/09/2016

Oh come on who are you trying to kid!!! It's not like NZ could teach the rest of the world a thing or two about rugby!!!

• danknapp
    9:40 PM 17/09/2016

Your haikus need some work, mate.

• ronan
    2:25 PM 17/09/2016

as we were tought at a young age.. doesnt matter how big the opposition is, their ankles are always the same size... tackle low...

• drg
    9:52 AM 17/09/2016

....and little kids getting steamrolled...

• drg
    9:51 AM 17/09/2016

That's what I mean 1010, if you have a blanket weight limit, then you need to have it with a wide span, rather than a 5-6 6-7 7-8 stone grouping or something, otherwise there won't be any bigger players or smaller players... However, this is not achieving anything.... The little lads are just getting run over, smashed, pushed... And the big lad will think he's achieving a lot, when he really isn't. However he has some awareness and carrying skills, and I liked his little step.... I've mentioned in the past being quite a 'big' colt... Not compared to today's 17yr old Haskell's but, relatively big compared to the average surrounding player (other than props) this actually made me lazy, I could grab players, rather than hit them, I was unfortunate that coaches never really highlighted this... It was when I made that jump to seniors and I saw who I was against.... These were MEN giving no quarter... I actually had thoughts during warm up of "I wonder if they'll go easy on me because I'm only young?"... That first tackle (or 3rd or 4th?) I made was successful because I recognised that I needed technique... My size meant nothing, because it was nothing compared to my opposition.... You are right that 9 is no age to hear accolades of future achievements on the lad, but I don't see much being achieved here other than a good video to watch of a big kid having some fun...

• 10stonenumber10
    11:14 PM 16/09/2016

U9 rugby is far too young to decide whether a player has "got it" or not. This isn't like football where kids are picked up age 7, sure talent is recognised, but it isn't until Secondary School where teams start being picked on merit instead of giving everyone a go. It could be argued that leaving players in their age group increases the level of competition... you get better by playing with better players. Get accustomed to tackling him at this age, smashing beasts will be second nature by the time they are big enough to do damage of their own

• drg
    7:09 PM 16/09/2016

Actually, it's interesting you point out the "3 pass rule"... we still use forms of that in training now for senior rugby... tends to be maybe 5 passes or even 10, it helps work around offloads and the like... Also as you mentioned his team mates... I just re watched the video, look how many of his team mates are just standing around watching....

• hedderball
    5:49 PM 16/09/2016

Totally agree. (they weren't forearm smashes but weren't exactly fending an opponent off but more like punching him out the way).

• hedderball
    5:48 PM 16/09/2016

A fair bit of aul nonsense this. As a coach for our local minis, I would point out a couple of things. In Ireland, our minis is non-competitive up to U13s. Kids aren't allowed to fend until U12s. In addition until U11s we have a 3 pass rule where the ball has to be passed 3 times before a try can be scored. I feel sorry for his teammates who probably learn jack-sh*t as they trundle along behind this mini-juggernaut. Hope the kid goes on to be brilliant but he'd be better off in a weight graded system.

• stroudos
    12:52 PM 16/09/2016

I understand that, in England at least, handoffs are not allowed until U12. This video would seem to support the logic for that decision.

• stroudos
    12:50 PM 16/09/2016

The lad in the yellow bib at the end demonstrates exactly how I would go about tackling someone that size: set yourself in position then just at the last second gracefully shift weight a fraction to the side like a matador tricking the bull into missing me completely. "Bloody hell, he stepped me!" I would protest. Actually, my favourite part of the video is the MASSIVE sidestep he pulls about a third of the way in. Wonderful stuff.

• drg
    12:30 PM 15/09/2016

This not little little guy has got some skills, but realistically if he remains in this age group of rugby, what sort of progression will he make? He might be the lucky one that makes it through to the pros and continues developing, but there will be some 'lumps' like him, which will have the natural attributes to go places, but none of the skills because they don't need them...and when they find they do need them, they'll be older and surrounded by blokes who are the same size and weight as them anyway.... I don't know what the answer is really, using your example, this kid could weigh as much as a 16 year old in a couple years.. he'll only be 11, that also won't allow his skillset to develop....

• danknapp
    10:23 PM 14/09/2016

This sort of shit is your argument made for weight, not age, grade rugby. Haven't liked this video when I've seen it elsewhere on Facebook, and not about to start now.

• 10stonenumber10
    4:16 PM 14/09/2016

Age grade sport is one of the best tools for building character and learning life lessons. At that age you have to remember that they are all there playing for fun, not because it is a Tuesday and school says so. This not so little guy is awesome at what he does, I couldn't step like that at 8, and I was a gymnast! Serious bravery by the opposition too, I don't know many who would go for those tackles I sort of agree with rugby being played by weight, but then again i grew up with a lad knocking on 17st at age 14... but no 14yr old has the mental strength or experience to play the full size game, and despite youthful elastic resilience, the hits hurt, and add to "contact mileage" Unless the next generation is carefully managed, careers will only last 5 years

• mozz87
    1:37 PM 14/09/2016

Crikey, if there was ever an argument for grouping age-grade rugby by kids' size rather than age this is it! Kid is a beast, fair play to all the kids half his size who bravely went for the tackle though! Also top marks for the bloke who filmed it, he's absolutely right in saying adults should always encourage never put down kids playing sport. Not to say winning isn't important, and competition is a healthy thing, but all of us need to remember the benefits of learning to get up and try again when you're that young, not to feel a failure for missing a tackle of dropping a ball. I digress. Final comment; MINI BEAST MODE!

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Amateur

Player Features

U9 kid goes into BEAST MODE and nobody can do a thing about it! | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos