Sunday Jan 5, 2014

Joe Marler smashes big wing George North at Franklin's Gardens

Joe Marler smashes big wing George North at Franklin's Gardens
Comments

Prop Joe Marler made a huge tackle on big Northampton Saints, Wales and Lions wing George North during Harlequins meeting with the Saints this weekend. Here is a quick look at the hit as well as highlights from the match.

Saints won the match 23-9 and North scored a well taken try after bumping off a far smaller challenge in the form of Charlie Walker, but when up against Marler he came off second best.

“Young Charlie Walker is a talented player but when you’re one on one with George, you have to make sure you make a good tackle,” said Jim Mallinder of the impressive North try. “We needed that from George, it was fantastic to see him score in the corner.”

George Pisi also made a huge hit, but his was of the illegal vareity and he was sinbinned. View highlights of the match, including North’s try and Pisi’s hit, on page two of this post.

View more big tackles from over the years in our Big Hits section

Highlights wrap of the Northampton Saints vs Harlequins Aviva Premiership match from Franklin’s Gardens

22 Comments

stroudos

Well I'll take your word for that unless they publish official stats on the players' accomplishments in the gym. I remember some of the bench press numbers that got bandied about re Sheridan were eye-boggling.

drg

Bloody hell Stroudos, you had me there.. I was wondering how I was going to explain this to someone who regularly shows common sense...

stroudos

Corbisiero (when he's not crocked) is a stronger loosehead and a better all-round rugby player. But I do like Marler, exciting player.

stroudos

DrG, what are you talking about? How can you say that's a rubbish tackle? I suppose you can tackle better than that? Also, you're saying you're the same size as George North and you can only lift 100kg! Etc etc. Well, everyone else seems to be getting good mileage out of trolling you, I thought I'd get on the bandwagon....

stroudos

A rare piece of hyperbole from the usually calm and phlegmatic Healey.

drg

100kg is 100kg... My height and weight stats are very similar to George North... As I said, I doubt I'd be able to catch the ball, pick up 100kg, do as GN did etc etc etc, but I can pick up 100kg.. I don't know why this has become such a big deal when I clearly did not knock the tackle Marler made, I just stated that the commentators words about it being "tackle of the season" did not ring true with my opinion... As for picking up 100kg/Folau/bag of spuds, none of it makes any difference as it's a completely different scenario.

drg

....yeup...um...irony...that is definitely what that was. *facepalm*

danknapp

It's in the audio, think it's Austin Healey, a man who knows all about putting in the big hits.

danknapp

Hey, I'm not knocking the tackle, but as I said up there and as DrG said, it won't be the hit of the season.

• Notice: Trying to get property 'data' of non-object in /var/www/html/php/vo/Comment.php on line 19
  • Where'd all this tackle of the season silliness come from anyway?

• Agreed, perfect form, and safe for the tackler too, head in the right spot. That said marler is 6 feet 250, whereas George is 6'4 245, so he definitely has a lower centre of gravity and should win where physics are concerned. As far as I know, most wrecking balls are lighter than the buildings they smash down.

• 100 kgs of Israel folau is a little different than the one big bloke you played club against last weekend mate.

smobrugby

You know Marler is a prop not a hooker right? I assume your comment was supposed to be ironic given the "Zoolander's school for kids that can't read good" comment..... ????????

danknapp

Agree with DrG. It was a great tackle, but not tackle of the season. Will make the highlight reel, but hopefully won't be the best. Good smash though.

danknapp

Alesana Tuiliagi, no?

colombes

textbook! like in a precedent article, i invite people to cheer for that type of tackle than tip-tackle ones

drg

So aidy, if we're saying North did so well to pick up Folau, then why didn't he use the same control to bring him back down? Rather than end up doing an ostrich impression... That was a good effort from North, but I can pick up 100kg over my shoulder.. I'm not saying I could catch a rugby ball, control it, pick up 100kg and run ....(then not very elegantly go head first into the soil).. but then again I don't play pro rugby...

drg

No, I am not kidding, with respect. Read the reply above which states that this tackle is brilliant but not "tackle of the season".

drg

You're kidding right? Can't even say it's apples and oranges as even those have more similarities in the fact they're fruit!!! Marler is heavier and shorter and a hooker, which are the most obvious differences between him and Folau. Again for those attending Zoolander's School for kids who can't read good the tackle was brilliant. But if you want to start handing out trophies for tackle of the season then I wouldn't start here.

aidy668

http://www.rugbydump.com/2013/06/3280/george-north-picks-up-and-carries-tackler-israel-folau when the guy can do this to a tackler put it in perspective no?!...

aidy668

quite right! especially when you look at the Lions tour and how he picked Folau when he tried to tackle him and ran with the player in one arm and the ball in the other! http://www.rugbydump.com/2013/06/3280/george-north-picks-up-and-carries-tackler-israel-folau

drg

Got to be a slow fooking season if that goes down as "tackle of the season"... Brilliant tackle, great effort etc etc, but not "exciting" enough to be tackle of the season for my liking..

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Training Videos

Player Features

Joe Marler smashes big wing George North at Franklin's Gardens | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos