Do Not Sell My Personal Information
RugbyDump RugbyDump
Monday Apr 4, 2016

Life ban for horrific deliberate kick to the head by club player in Argentina

Life ban for horrific deliberate kick to the head by club player in Argentina
Comments

A club rugby player in Argentina has reportedly been banned for 99 years after footage of this horrific piece of foul play emerged in the last few days. Prop Cipriano Martinez of Pucara club unleased a vicious right boot on defenseless lock Juan Masi of San Albano.

The incident was picked up by someone filming the match, and since being uploaded and shared (credit to the unknown original source), the club has released a statement.

“Pucará Club renounces the anti-sporting conduct which occurred in the match against San Albano. We wish to extend appropriate apologies to the injured player, to the San Albano Club, and to rugby in general. Pucará Club has taken disciplinary measures.”

Martinez was red carded for the kick, while victim Masi left the field but only suffered from dizziness. A life ban (99 years) is what is being reported as being the punishment for Martinez.

20 Comments

• joaquinmerlino
    4:04 PM 20/04/2016

99 from the Club Pucara, 29 years from URBA

• joaquinmerlino
    4:01 PM 20/04/2016

UPDATE!! It has been anounced that he received a 99 years ban.

• drg
    8:58 AM 09/04/2016

That's how I felt also (I mentioned it above). I think it is because the act is so out of the ordinary and really designed to cause proper harm. No one really thinks they'll do long term damage by punching an opponent (even though they can very easily cause damage), or grappling/scuffling, however putting someone in an arm bar move and hyper extended their arm, or kicking someone in the head/face are strong statements of intent that have no other outcomes other than serious injury.

• larry
    12:49 AM 08/04/2016

What was this player thinking? Well, that's the problem, he wasn't thinking!

• drg
    10:27 AM 06/04/2016

Disgusting and such a shame that the game and other players had to suffer as a result of a poor and insufficient punishment.

• pyes
    6:27 AM 06/04/2016

Exact same thing happened to me in a league in Canada and the guy was given a 4 game ban. The force of the kick snapped my teeth and lodged them in the roof of my mouth and the fallout from the lack of punishment resulted in the league disintegrating.

• katman
    9:57 PM 05/04/2016

He's going to be older than Matfield when he returns.

• drg
    6:57 PM 05/04/2016

As Jim said, you put on your boots to play a sport governed by the laws, anything you do, or have done to you that is not within the laws in punishable, however certain things that are outside the laws will not be punished off the pitch, such as collapsing a maul, handling the ball on the ground, etc, as there is no laws in our courts that specifically deal with these sorts of incidents - or frankly, no one would give a **** as it doesn't mean anything in the real world. However, if one was to be struck on the rugby pitch, even just a simple punch to the face, you could press charges as this is not part of the game that you signed up to (or put yours boots onto...). I've been hit a few times but never particularly thought much of it - typical rugby punches that don't do much... however if someone was to fracture my cheek/break my jaw, knock out my teeth or something like that, then I would strongly consider my options. Evidence however would be an issue - provocation, mitigating circumstances etc...

• stroudos
    3:47 PM 05/04/2016

"That's std assault." - is it? I thought STD assault was when you gave someone gonorrhoea...

• guy
    11:28 AM 05/04/2016

That's even worse. Bees are rapidly becoming an extinct species.

• larry67
    1:48 AM 05/04/2016

Dave Kearney here..No he didn't. Regards.

• finedisregard
    10:14 PM 04/04/2016

You guys don't get it. There was a bee on the down player and he is highly allergic. The guy in red killed the bee and saved the player's life!

• drg
    9:02 PM 04/04/2016

This is really horrendous! I don't often exclaim out loud, but that really caught me by surprise, I was not expecting something so vicious... in fact, I don't know, I was hoping to see some mitigating "it wasn't THAAAT bad" type of excuse. For a bit of a relative scale, I'd say this was worse than the Calum Clark incident, so I'd say Clark should've received a 98 year ban.

• drg
    8:57 PM 04/04/2016

...into the same cell as a well hung and extremely horny sex starved inmate...

• bonrad
    7:50 PM 04/04/2016

Criminal assault, IMO.

• xenophile
    6:36 PM 04/04/2016

Absolutely disgraceful. Actions like this warrant the severe suspension, as well as legal action against them. A vicious blow to the head like that can cause life-altering damage and suffering and warrants legal action, regardless of whether it occurred during a match or not.

• 6:16 PM 04/04/2016

i don't get it. if this happened on the street, he'd be in court. Why does the playing field grant exemption from the [supposedly long arm of] the law?

• welshosprey
    5:26 PM 04/04/2016

Only 99 years?

• stroudos
    4:50 PM 04/04/2016

99 years! They don't mess about do they? Bloody right too, for such a despicable act. Still, I have to say, Martinez will be kicking himself (awesome pun, thank you), that he didn't post an apology on Twitter straight after the game.

• jimmy23
    4:10 PM 04/04/2016

"I was going for the ball sir!" But seriously, that was flat-out assault. There are things that happen on a rugby pitch that are a "what happens on the field, stays on the field" sort of thing but this is another level.

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Amateur

Player Features

Life ban for horrific deliberate kick to the head by club player in Argentina | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos