Do Not Sell My Personal Information
RugbyDump RugbyDump
Wednesday Apr 18, 2012

Referee Nigel Owens chats to the TMO, on an iPhone

Referee Nigel Owens chats to the TMO, on an iPhone
Comments

Welsh referee Nigel Owens is in the spotlight yet again and this time it’s not for being knocked over by a player, not for coming up with a catchphrase, and not for telling off thirty grown men. This time it’s for speaking on a mobile phone, during a match.

As mentioned in the past, Owen’s isn’t one to shy away from the cameras. He makes regular appearances on television (other than when reffing), is known to do a bit of stand up comedy when possible, and has large followings on Facebook and Twitter.

So when the communications system at Musgrave Park failed on the weekend and he couldn’t get through to the Television Match Official, Owen’s found another way.

“Just so you all know. I dont take my phone on the field with me, it was the No4 officials phone. The comms were not working to talk to the TMO,” he said after the game, before later tweeting, ironically, “Bloody technology and me never get on, ha.”

Ireland winger Tommy Bowe was watching the game, between Munster and Glasgow, and used the same platform to comment on it at the time. “Oh my god, can’t believe what I’m seeing. Nigel Owens on his phone ringing to ask video ref if it’s a try!!”

Many of you had requested to see the moment again, or for the first time if you missed it, so here it is below. It’s surely not a first, but can you recall similar incidents?

10 Comments

ronan
    1:45 PM 21/04/2012

i think owens should join gavin henson and concentrate on his tv career, because hes no interest in reffing anymore and just wants to be a celeb, sad.....

thamesrowingclub
    2:03 AM 20/04/2012

@Jimothy, I'm a ref too. My goal is call the best game I can for the players so the better team wins and to leave my personality and prejudices off the field. Sports are about the players, not the referee. I don't have a problem with this particular incident per se, but no ref in any sport should be a celebrity. We shouldn't notice them. That's just my opinion.

buzzkillington
    8:31 PM 19/04/2012

Most other referees seem to manage it. However in this case I agree that Owens couldn't have done what he did any other way, but it's like the boy who's cried wolf, he loves to bring attention to him so much that when in normal incidents like this people will believe him to be a drama queen still.

jimothy
    5:01 PM 19/04/2012

One question; how does the man in a shirt coloured differently to everyone else's, who blows his whistle loudly in order to ATTRACT ATTENTION to himself, whose role it is to keep in the thick of things in order to make the correct decision, who everyone turns to when they believe a rule has been broken, a penalty scored, a try given, a conversion kicked, stay out of the limelight?

thamesrowingclub
    3:20 PM 19/04/2012

Only competitors are legends. Refs shouldn't have highlight reels and fans. Referees deserve our respect but they are not competitors. Refs should be a nameless and impartial part of the game like the ball and the goalposts. A referee's personality shouldn't bleed into the game like it does.

bingeybaby
    1:11 PM 19/04/2012

Nigel Owens, in my opinion is one of the finest referees in the game. And he has a laugh while doing it, so what? legend.

pretzel
    7:14 PM 18/04/2012

What do Bakkies Botha, Brian O'Driscoll and Nigel Owens have in common? They can never do anything right in the eyes of RD fans.... What was he supposed to do? His technology failed, time was dragging on, he obviously couldn't use anything else because of a "failed system" so he used the next best thing... the cameras pointed at him.. is that his fault?

thamesrowingclub
    2:54 PM 18/04/2012

The good refs you don't notice. This guy wants to be famous.

guy
    1:10 PM 18/04/2012

Great Clip! 'Hi Mom! Does my bum look big in this?' He is even starting to look more and more like that guy from The Fast Show, the one that plays Arthus Weasley in Harry Potter.

moddeur
    8:36 AM 18/04/2012

Haha, excellent!! Would have been even funnier with a huge army comm. device from the 50s. And perhaps a little Benny Hill music.

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Amateur

Player Features

Referee Nigel Owens chats to the TMO, on an iPhone | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos