Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Rugbypass Match Centre
Scores
Sorry there are no live games.
See what's coming up.
23 Aug
5:25am
RugbyDump RugbyDump
Friday Jun 19, 2015

Richie McCaw reveals his secrets in this excellent Breakdown Masterclass

Richie McCaw reveals his secrets in this excellent Breakdown Masterclass
Comments

Richie McCaw, gives away some of his secrets in this excellent breakdown masterclass from Sky Sport NZ. Along with hosts Ian Jones and Jeff Wilson, both capped over 60 times for their country, we get to see some of the key aspects of breakdown work.

Now 34-years-old and no doubt heading into his final Rugby World Cup, the most capped All Blacks captain of all time talks about the various ways to clean out players at the breakdown, as well as protect and steal ball.

As he explains, it’s all about making key decisions as you approach, and then winning the shoulder battle when making contact. If that doesn’t work, there are other things you can do.

It’s a fascinating look at an aspect of the game that is always hotly contested, and policed, and is more often than not an area that McCaw has dominated, for well over a decade now.

Unsurprisingly, All Blacks legend McCaw mentions Wallaby breakdown powerhouse David Pocock, saying that once he’s set over the ball, he’s almost impossible to move.

While there are specialists such as McCaw, Pocock and over the years, George Smith, each and every player on the field can learn from these techniques, as you’re sure to encounter similar situations regularly. Take note, and get that body position correct.

Also worth watching:
Brian O’Driscoll Masterclass – Defensive play at the breakdown
Sam Warburton Masterclass – 3 Ways to retain possession at the breakdown

7 Comments

• drg
    12:34 PM 21/06/2015

Are we talking best in terms of penalty count?

• danknapp
    6:58 AM 21/06/2015

Ha!

• 3:16 AM 21/06/2015

Can't say he's the best anymore. Pocock the best over the ball. Richie may be better all round though.

• kuz
    1:20 AM 21/06/2015

Hail King Richie. Thou art Holy. Thy WC come, thy will be done, in 2015 as it was in 2011.

• drg
    9:04 PM 20/06/2015

Not at all, just being cheeky(?) (Stay with me on this one) - McCaw has been the worlds best 7 for many years, I do believe a huge amount of his talent lies on his ability to play BEYOND the laws of the game, but know EXACTLY when to pull back... Does this mean I'm calling McCaw a cheat? In the sense of the word, I suppose I am, but then any player worth their salt is a cheat in as much as they can get away with. So I suppose really the true answer is "Whilst McCaw will 'cheat' like every other player on the pitch, he is clever enough to not get caught"... Of course that is all the answer to the 'grey' areas of the game, there are plenty examples of the obvious areas where he outmatches others legally. I hope the explanation does not cause offence, nothing of what I said was supposed to be taken badly, it is actually supposed to be a complement.... Put it this way, everyone wants McCaw on their side, so that has to be a complement no?

• kadova
    7:48 PM 20/06/2015

Sour note ?

• drg
    5:05 PM 19/06/2015

Macaw: "Basically, I put on this black shirt and it makes me invisible to the referee for about the first 8-10 seconds of a breakdown, sometimes more, very occasionally it's less....it means I can do whatever I want..."

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Amateur

Player Features

Richie McCaw reveals his secrets in this excellent Breakdown Masterclass | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos