Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Rugbypass Match Centre
Scores
Sorry there are no live games.
See what's coming up.
23 Aug
5:25am
RugbyDump RugbyDump
Wednesday Oct 8, 2014

Sonny Bill Williams back in the ITM Cup for Counties Manukau

Sonny Bill Williams back in the ITM Cup for Counties Manukau
Comments

Sonny Bill Williams made his return to rugby union today, playing for Counties Manukau against Auckland in the ITM Cup. His return has been swift, wasting no time shifting from the NRL back into New Zealand’s domestic competition. The Crowd Goes Wild met up with him a few days back.

Williams looks set for a slot on the All Blacks end of year tour, providing he has a smooth transition back into code. If his past performances are anything to go by, that won’t be a problem. He recently tweeted how happy he is to be back in New Zealand, and back playing rugby.

He came off the bench in the second half with Counties 27-11 up against Auckland. The final score in Pukekohe was a record 41-18 win for Counties Manukau.

15 Comments

• stroudos
    1:32 PM 13/10/2014

Ah, Sounds like there's more to that story than I realised then. Maybe I should have taken the time to read about it more before posting. All I read about was a leaflet that was admittedly quite derogatory towards female rugby players and also referred to the barmaid at some pub as a minger, plus a couple of other things like that. Didn't know about any of the stuff you mention.

• drg
    11:28 PM 11/10/2014

To be fair, breaking someones nose is a tad more than 'rib tickling'... I don't think many people would argue against that...

• stroudos
    3:41 PM 10/10/2014

@Rich - my comment was kind of tongue-in-cheek too mate, didn't mean to sound preachy. You may have noticed I was also lamenting how far to the opposite extreme we've come in England, where a university actually bans its own team based on a few rude but mostly quite amusing jokes.

• finedisregard
    3:14 PM 10/10/2014

No I can't begrudge him either. He is an outstanding athlete and a decent guy that is maximizing his earning potential. Still SBW seems to be the ultimate culmination of the professional era. All his decisions are based on money. Rugby is now based solely on money and that kind of makes me sad.

• eddie-g
    6:44 PM 09/10/2014

Assume he gets a larger paycheque from the NRL than he does on a NZ contract, but the international exposure from playing in a WC, especially one in the NH, is good for the brand. Honestly - I don't begrudge him. You have a 15-year playing career if you are lucky. For many it's less. You gotta do what you can. But if I were an AB player who lost out on a WC place to SBW, I maybe wouldn't feel the say way.

• finedisregard
    5:13 PM 09/10/2014

No man you've got it. He might pick up a big check in France or Japan too. Don't forget the boxing thing too. SBW is a very well-managed well-coached sports brand. I live in America now and he reminds me of a top tier American athlete with all the things that come with it (mangers, publicists, agents). The ultimate professional, the ultimate mercenary.

• katman
    12:28 AM 09/10/2014

So what's the pattern here, another two years of union before switching back to league (conveniently, some time after the WC)? Would it be cynical to suggest that all this to-and-fro between the codes is a pretty effective way of maintaining hype?

• stroudos
    7:47 PM 08/10/2014

Mate, I wouldn't kick her out of bed even if she did a massive fart and followed through on the sheets.

• 7:04 PM 08/10/2014

It was dumb, but I thought it was kinda funny. As long as the dudes realize they look like a-holes too

• eddie-g
    4:42 PM 08/10/2014

Question for AB fans - how glad are you to see this guy back? I mean, the champagne was barely finished at the last WC and he was back playing in the NRL. The sense I get this time is that a lot of people in the game, and most NZ writers, are lukewarm. Some obviously so. Nonu and Smith remain the first choice centres, Fekitoa has proven he can play 12 or 13, so what exactly has SBW done to earn a spot in the match-squad? I guess with Nonu's injury, SBW will definitely tour in the autumn, and McCaw and the other senior guys will maintain the squad unity. But who will be genuinely pleased to see him back in the black jersey?

• 11:57 AM 08/10/2014

I think you should read Stroudos' comment again and try and understand what he's saying.

• 11:55 AM 08/10/2014

*her

• 11:17 AM 08/10/2014

oh go on Stroudos, you wouldn't kick out of bed for eating crisps would you? :D Fair play to Sonny on the questions and what the fuck was the anchorman thinking? I think the whole sexist thing is getting out of hand, tell the guys (Uni team) to tone it down by all means, but banning them for a year??? Really?

• charmenace
    11:05 AM 08/10/2014

Funnily enough I've also just read that article in the Guardian. The comment section, as ever, is way more interesting than the actual article! Pretty low blow the 'blonde bird' comment though.

• stroudos
    11:01 AM 08/10/2014

I see proper old-school sexism is alive and well in some parts of the world... I watched this video immediately after reading that a London university's rugby team has been banned for a year, because of some comedy player recruitment leaflet they put out at the freshers fair. No doubt a lot of the content was misogynistic and uncouth, but banning the team altogether seems a bit harsh. Fortunately there still remains a massive middle ground. PS - the blonde bird needs to cut back on her bloody cigarettes and don't tell me that husky voice is alluring, it is just irritating.

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Amateur

Player Features

Sonny Bill Williams back in the ITM Cup for Counties Manukau | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos