Do Not Sell My Personal Information
RugbyDump RugbyDump
Monday Jun 2, 2014

Star studded Barbarians too good for England XV at Twickenham

Star studded Barbarians too good for England XV at Twickenham
Comments

A talented Barbarians outfit scored five tries to beat an experimental England XV 39-29 in front of 50 000 fans at Twickenham on Sunday. Hosea Gear scored twice for the invitational side in a match that at times had a real Test match feel to it.

It was anything but the free-flowing, run at every opportunity type of game that we’ve come to expect from a Barbarians fixture, but there seemed to be a real determination in the effort, following on from the disappointing 59-8 hiding against the British & Irish Lions last year.

Henry Slade was impressive for England, as was Ollie Devoto in the midfield but with the likes of Rene Ranger and Gear running freely for the Barbarians, it was always going to be a challenge.

“The game was won because people kindly kicked to Hosea Gear,” said pleased Babarians coach Dean Ryan. “I’m pleased we represented the Barbarians in a way that allows us to see the talents of a Hosea Gear but also sees us really work hard to win a game at the end.”

England’s main squad are already in New Zealand preparing for the three-Test series with the All Blacks, and then there is also the group of players that weren’t available for selection due to Saturday’s Aviva Premiership Final. That said, the Barbarians were made to work hard for the win.

It was great to see Georgian Mamuka Gorgodze in the famous strip, and another great achievement is that of French referee Mathieu Raynal, who you may remember had that horrific leg and collarbone break in a Top 14 match last year. It was great to see him out there again.

15 Comments

• rugbydump
    9:17 AM 09/06/2014

You're welcome, Kadova! It's great to see him out there refereeing again.

• kadova
    10:07 PM 07/06/2014

Thanks alot RD for the video. I was driving at that time so i could not watch the match. Great to see referee Mathieu Raynal on the pitch again, we were soo concerned when he got injured. Happy the Barbarians won.

• drg
    11:25 PM 04/06/2014

Yeh, story goes (or is it legend tells?) that he was on a fairly local beach on holiday when one of the training staff spotted him and asked if he wanted to come down to the club - But I did hear because he was technically signed by one of the super clubs or the AB's at the time, he got into a bit of trouble as a result because I suppose if he'd got injured he'd have been a man down for them. I'd have loved to play against him.

• drg
    9:45 AM 04/06/2014

I just think there is something about him that makes him truly likeable. There is no arrogance in him, which I have found with so many other big cheeses - As I said above, he can happily criticise his team if they play badly whereas others get their back up when someone insults their precious bunch, he is always full of praise for the opposition team, even if they've been pummelled. All in all, as you said he lets everyone know he will play ANYONE who is playing well, he's not interested in the special handshake brigade - you play well you're in, you play badly and you sit out until you get your form back.

• drg
    9:39 AM 04/06/2014

He got in a bit of doo doo back home for playing for them.

• danknapp
    9:32 AM 04/06/2014

Ha, that is a nice touch. Not quite as nice a touch as Jerry Collins giving his team as Barnstaple and wearing their socks for one of his appearances, but nice all the same.

• danknapp
    9:31 AM 04/06/2014

You really get a sense of the school teacher in Lancaster. For me as an England fan I love that he has made me feel pride in the national team again. I lost that to a certain extent with the previous squad and coaching team. It can be a bit schmaltzy, but I quite like that in a way.

• 6:43 PM 03/06/2014

I'll tell u what, give Gear some pads and a helmet an he'd be an unbelievable kick returner in the NFL. Pace, power and fantastic swerving running lines. Get him back in the ABs set up. Savea and smith are great but Janes looking crappy, a great third option.

• drg
    6:02 PM 03/06/2014

Totally agree there Dan. As much as I respected Martin Johnson as his ability as a player, I found his coaching abilities; as far as I could tell, left a bit to be desired. I'm not sure if he didn't have a good player base, or gave too much credit to those that he KNEW had the potential but weren't firing on all cylinders at the time (he was playing them in the hope they got their form back)... Stuart Lancaster I feel, comes across as a much more likeable character - he gets on with the media, loves to give credit to the opposition and isn't afraid to question his own players (in general - not individually) in front of the media, which as you said makes them feel a bit more vulnerable, rather than invincible. Whereas I feel with Martin Johnson, sometimes England had an appalling game and he still clung on when facing questions stating things like "Well it's the same with every team, you play better sometimes than others" or some political answer... Lancaster seems to turn around and say "yeup, we got spanked!"..

• danknapp
    12:25 PM 03/06/2014

What was your comment about the BBs wearing 'some socks from the two teams before' about? I didn't understand.

• danknapp
    7:04 AM 03/06/2014

Absolutely. As 10stonenumber10 says below, this was basically a competition between two Baa-bah outfits. I think the England XV acquitted themselves admirably and they've shown that the future is bright. I think Lancaster is just the man to have in charge of England, because I get the impression that every player in this match in a white shirt knew that they had a chance if they played well enough. Give Lancaster his due - he seems happy to give anyone a chance and everyone knows their position is under threat.

• facepalm
    10:01 PM 02/06/2014

It was an awesome attacking performance yet again for Daly. Especially considering he's become a victim of his own versatility and has to play every game at full back. For someone who's so clearly an outside centre he sure as hell doesn't play there much.

• juggernauter
    9:13 PM 02/06/2014

Long live the Barbarians!

• drg
    7:42 PM 02/06/2014

In the history of things, losing to the Baa baa's shouldn't happen.. You get a bunch of good players, lump them together a few days before a match then let them loose.. but in this case I think I'm willing to give England a bit of slack...

• jimmy23
    6:22 PM 02/06/2014

Considering the Baa Baa's had 700+ caps and England about 5 I'd say that's a decent effort. Would be great to see what Slade and Devoto can deliver for the future. Always liked Gear, but when there are that many good wingers in NZ it must be quite that challenge to get a look in. Especially with Savea, aka. Lomu '2nd Edition', in the ranks.

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Amateur

Player Features

Star studded Barbarians too good for England XV at Twickenham | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos