Do Not Sell My Personal Information
RugbyDump RugbyDump
Tuesday Nov 19, 2013

Willie Le Roux stars as the Springboks beat Scotland at Murrayfield

Willie Le Roux stars as the Springboks beat Scotland at Murrayfield
Comments

South Africa scored four tries to nil as they beat Scotland 28-0 at a wet Murrayfield Stadium on Sunday afternoon. Fullback Willie Le Roux has a superb first half, scoring an intercept try then brilliantly setting up 50th Cap winger JP Pietersen.

The Springboks backed up their good win over Wales with a convincing display against Scotland as they mixed their game to dominate up front, then take their chances out wide.

They scored off the lineout drive twice, while fullback Willie Le Roux scored an intercept and showed that he can be lethal in space as he set up a try for experienced winger Pietersen, who finished well.

The pace slowed down in the second half and while Scotland only conceded one try, to replacment prop Coenie Oosthuizen, they had few chances and the Springboks were rarely threatened.

“We will take four tries to nil in a test match any day of the week and I thought we produced a good performance in this match,” said coach Heyneke Meyer.

“We knew what to expect from Scotland. They are physical and hard, and we knew they would have worked at halting our driving, so I must give credit to our forwards’ coach Johann van Graan for the way he changed our drive set-ups.”

Francois Louw picked up an injury after Jim Hamilton cleared him out at a ruck, causing a lengthy delay, and then after what was probably Scotland’s best chance, we had another long delay as the TMO struggled to adjudicate on Bryan Habana dotting the ball down over his own tryline.

“We played a quality side and we gave them three clear opportunities in the first half and they took every one of them,” said Scotland coach Scott Johnson post match.

“You don’t always get that in the game and they were pretty clinical.”

Scotland host the Wallabies next, while South Africa travel to Paris to take on France.

20 Comments

• benny
    9:12 PM 22/11/2013

Around 4:30, love it, the forwards all "don't hold me back" and finally walk away and you realise Lambie was hidden in the middle of it keeping the peace.

• drg
    6:37 PM 22/11/2013

I didn't think Jim Hamiltons ruck entry was that bad actually :/ looks to me like he targeted under Louw. If I get a minute I'll have a look at the Bakkies vs Adam Jones video thats floating around, but if I recall correctly, these two incidents seem slightly different..

• joeythelemur
    1:56 AM 21/11/2013

I don't think anyone is suggesting DeVilliers is dirty; I'm a fan actually, as it's hard not to respect him. I thought at first that it was a bad attempt to help ground the ball but it was so poorly done, even that doesn't make much sense.

• joeythelemur
    1:52 AM 21/11/2013

I had the exact question about DeVilliers. Can't figure out what he was trying to do. The Scottish player clearly didn't expect someone to come crashing down on his head at that point.

• bokskick
    4:33 PM 20/11/2013

Denton (the #8) is a product of South African schools rugby. He knows that these kinds of things are done to get a reaction and so ignored it. Good on him too because AstroTurf burn is never nice - especially on the face.

• 11:49 AM 20/11/2013

Jim Hamilton is nearly as stupid as he is tall. He's forever losing it for one reason or another and doesn't ever think about anything. He's a total liability for us but we don't have the depth of squad to just leave him out really. Had himself sent off quite a few times for his club (believe he plays for Montpelier). But I agree with Guy, above, I love watching the Boks play, they tend to play with an intensity you don't often see up here in the NH, but their reputation as dirty players tarnishes that shine, and JP Pieterson is definitely not helping anything. As was mentioned above, if that was early on in the game, and maybe one of the first tackles that he's made then fine, its just making a mark, but when you're 28-0 ahead with 5 minutes left, you're just being a first rate tool. This is rugby though, glad Denton didn't react, I've seen fights start over much less and I'm sure that they will have had a drink and been fine afterwards.

• stroudos
    10:41 AM 20/11/2013

Very well said.

• oldflyhalf
    9:44 AM 20/11/2013

Correctly MCD ! ... I played rugby, but some long time ago. `72-`85. :) A big tackle and a try score, or more, then the third half of the match. Then, all together, drink a beer in a club house :) This is the spirit of the game of rugby ! "The punch" is for the hooligans, no offence, is my opinion, and for this exist "the soccer world". :)

• stroudos
    7:39 AM 20/11/2013

DanKnapp - well done for hitting the nail on the head. My first thought was "what a wanker", but couldn't put my finger on why it irritated me so much - as a couple of people mentioned above this type of thing happens a lot and is just banter. But when you're that far in the lead with so little time left to play, it really is out of order. What a wanker. Fantastic tackle though...

• badge
    7:15 AM 20/11/2013

Scotland showed plenty of heart and I hope they regain their feet in the test arena soon. Hats off to my Bokke and especially to le Roux, what a performance. Can''t wait to see them take on France.

• eddie-g
    10:47 PM 19/11/2013

The people asking what De Villiers was doing on the Pietersen try - my guess, he was diving onto Pietersen like you sometimes do if you think the guy might have been held up over the line. Happy to debate the issue, but JDV simply is not a dirty player, a cheap shot would have been completely out of character, so that's what's supporting my theory. Plus, it looks exactly like he his trying to lend his weight to ensuring JPP grounded the ball. On the Denton facial, honestly, it's a bit of gamesmanship that we should all be able to live with. The tackler's fired up, just put in a great hit on a bigger man, and he wanted to leave an autograph. If Denton reacts - like some people suggest he should have - he's just taking the bait, so fair play from him just shrugging it off. A punch in response would have been a ridiculous over-reaction. Ps. Maestri not banned? I'm sure the IRB have their reasons, but he's a very lucky boy.

• guy
    9:23 PM 19/11/2013

To be honest: he is not the only 'dirty' player on the pitch. I saw Bakkies headbutt his way into a few rucks, then there was De Villiers dropping onto a player and the Pietersen incident. I guess the Scottish tried to match the Boks physsicaly which off course doesn't work. I love to see the SA backs carve up the defence but there is still a lot of aimless high kicking and a lot of off the ball stuff that matches the overall public opinion of the Springboks.

• katman
    8:37 PM 19/11/2013

Jim Hamilton thinks because some commentators insist on adding a "Big" before his name, he has to repay them by proving how tough he is. Has he always been a dirty player, or is this a new thing?

• danknapp
    8:17 PM 19/11/2013

Both of those incidents were pretty disappointing. SA are my 'second team' because I've always liked their hard approach to the game, but I've always felt there is an underlying respect which earns them kudos. Pietersen's little face-rub might have been acceptable near the start of the game - he'd just smashed a #8 into touch, and wanted to let him know it - but not five minutes from the end. That just doesn't show class at all. I hope his manager had a word.

• mcd
    8:14 PM 19/11/2013

Great comments and I do agree roughing up is unnecessary but I don't mind it, after all it happens at the bottom of every ruck and after loads of big hits. "If you step into the ocean you become part of the food chain!" FDP had better be fit for the WC I think we are a much better team and all your comments above are true in every regard. I do think we give away far to many penalties and concede to many yellow cards. I also feel we lack the instinctive edge that the AB's have. The AB's can soak up points and be behind but they always know that they will win the game. Out of nothing they can conjure up a try or points. They also seam to be-able to inspire the bench or who ever is coming into the squad to play as well if not better that the player they have just replaced, day in and day out. The Boks need to be more clinical in big games, I fear they will struggle against the French and English. I am not saying they will loose to France but I don't think that we will be convincing. The WC is a long way away and I hope we will have a team that has the ability and the discipline to see us through to victory.

• mcd
    7:09 PM 19/11/2013

I to played from 89-2009 in SA and the UK and have many times had my face shoved in the dirt, I never punched someone for it but I have always made sure I did the same back after i put a big tackle in on them :) and there is no better feeling giving it back after you have smashed them in a tackle. All legit and great fun. Hands shakes after the game and a few beers in the club house. GOOD TIMES!!!!

• i_bleed_green_and_gold
    6:50 PM 19/11/2013

I agree that the late dive in and roughing up is unnecessary after some magical play. I am glad Pietersen is back since his defense is solid ( he does rush the line a bit which would not work so well against AB's). Le Roux at full back 11 times out of 10 over Kirchner:), although his defense still requires work, what he brings in attack is amazing. I think Meyer is just getting his combinations together quite nicely. balance defense and attack. Jaque Fourie in defense is better than JJ and he is still pretty impressive on attack. Still have an issue at tight head since no one can scrum as well as jannie but his defense is terrible. World cup is a long way away, but the team is coming together nicely.not so sure some of the older guys can go the distance. I really like FDP at scrum half.... I really hope is is fit and ready come 2015, none of the up and comings come even remotely close to him in terms of game management, positional play, ball cycling, decision making and execution . on a side note, bakkies was surprisingly good with little to no off the ball incidents.

• mcd
    6:20 PM 19/11/2013

Because its part of rugby, Pitersen did not hurt Denton. If you play rugby you would know that it happens, do you think the front row don't clash heads when they scrum down. If you cant take a shove on the head you should not be playing the game. MAN UP!!!

• felipeg
    5:43 PM 19/11/2013

Would have ended like Maestri VS Tonga...

• eddie-g
    4:29 PM 19/11/2013

Ah finally, my Willie le Roux fix for the week. Amazing to think that he wasn't really part of Meyer's plans at the beginning of the year. Magical player.

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Amateur

Player Features

Willie Le Roux stars as the Springboks beat Scotland at Murrayfield | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos