Thursday Jun 21, 2012

Argentina snatch victory from France with late try in Cordoba

Argentina snatch victory from France with late try in Cordoba
Comments

Argentina came from behind to snatch a late 23-20 win in their first Test against France in Cordoba on Saturday. It was the South American’s second win in succession, following on from their beating of Italy in San Juan a week prior.

As you should know by now, Argentina will be joining the extended Tri Nations this year, as New Zealand, South Africa, and Australia get a new challenge as the Rugby Championship takes flight.

With that in mind, Argentina’s preperation is well timed and they’re looking good value for their current 6th in the world position on the official IRB World Rankings.

They scored two tries against France, the first of which came from a well taken intercept by Belisario Agulla. Felipe Contepomi kicked 13 points, and with a few minutes left in the match, a turnover allowed them to streak down field, as winger Manuel Montero collected a kick ahead for the match winning try.

France haven’t won a match in Argentina since 1998, but will get another shot at it next week when the two sides meet in their second, and final, Test in Tucuman. They do however have some key players missing, including Thierry Dusautoir and Imanol Harinordoquy, who are both being rested.

Argentina have made more changes to their team, as they continue to experiment ahead of the aforementioned Rugby Championship. Argentina play their first game in the Rugby Championship, away against South Africa, on August 18th.

Below are highlights of the game (in Spanish), and you can watch the full match here

21 Comments

frenchie

@ Scarlet Beast: France will be playing with a Adidas jersey very soon, the deal with Nike is out. I do like the Nike kit though...and i really liked the Argie's Adidas kit too.

kadova

Well done Arrgentina, for waiting for french mistakes. The French were awfull, and both teams were full of young guns (bald Argentinians boys as they played their first match as Internationals against Italy the week before). I hope the second match sees a better french team. As for the inclusion in the tri nation, remember Italy in the 6 Nations, they were loosing every game at the beginning, and are now better. I guess the same will happen for Argentina. And it will be great to see how the Big Three adapt to the passionate Argentinians on their home soil.

pretzel

You're not wrong, in fact I believe that up until recently many of the internationals WERE amateurs, I'm not sure if they still have some "amateurs" in their international team. Most of them are playing in France or Europe... I'd hazard a guess and say that their amateurs are not quite as amateur as other countries amateurs, they probably have some pretty tough clubs over there. But then with many going to France to make some money playing they might be more basic than thought...

thamesrowingclub

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the domestic game in Argentina close to completely amateur?

pretzel

I think you definitely have a point Lucas, I think the nice thing about the championship is that it is going to add wonders TO the player development program in Argentina... Now all of a sudden Argentina is going to have the "big famous teams" coming to play in their own pitches. I don't think Argentina will do too well in perhaps the first couple years (I could be wrong) But I think as the years roll on, they'll become a real strong(er) team. I wonder if Italy will suffer however... Many of the Italians I believe stem from Argentina, so perhaps instead of having an influx of Professional Argentinian rugby players they might have to pick their home grown guys... I wonder if there will be an interest in the Super rugby tournament? Maybe an Argentinian franchise...

pretzel

Just out of interest, do Argentina (as far as you know) play with a different ball? I remember reading a while ago that some of the 6N teams were not complaining as such, but more saying that when they play Italy in Italy it can also be a challenge because they're playing with a different ball (Mitre I think).. Just wondering if Argentina has different balls which might add some small variety to the home games..

eggman

@disco Sorry i dont quite understand your point, are you saying im being unfair to Argentina in comparing them to Scotland and Samoa because they are better, or something else completly? @Pretzel I agree with you that it's more about the Tri-Nations team losing the games. Australia in particular are specialists in going in to a match expecting an easy win and then being surprised that the other side can play rugby as well (Scotland, Samoa), and I fear that they have the same attitude towards Argentina. Add to that the completely new surrounding of playing in Argentina and I can see some upsets coming there..

colombes

haha i like the commentary can feel the argentiian passion for the game through their intonations argentina is always improving and will continue to do so don't think they have the level to fight with SH big guns, but it's by losing that u will know to win them. concerning france, and without disrespect the pumas performance, this tour is more a lab to launch new players than a real defy. shame but true :/ the last action on the try was symptomatic, france could have kept the ball and kill the last minutes but prefer to counter-attack and lost the ball. there is absolutely no shame to lose against a great team as argentina

pretzel

Sorry to add on, but I think it might make it clearer if I say I think Argentina will (early on anyway) only win the games that the other 3 nations Lose.... If you get my drift... i.e. if either NZ, Aus, or SA are on form, then an on form Arg team will get punished, however if either team is a bit wishy washy, tired, not paying attention, perhaps expecting an easy game, missing a few key players then Arg might snatch a victory... As I said, at least early on anyway...

pretzel

Definitely, thats what I said up there ^^^.,.. I just can't see them doing too well early on, I could be wrong, and I hope for their sake I am wrong, but we shall see (time will tell..).. I think they'll have an essence of "Italy" about them...i.e. always be expected to be last place but every now and again pull off a victory here or there... But they will improve I'm sure of it!

eggman

I wouldn't be too sure about that.. I could see them beating Australia in Argentina, because those are the kind of games Australia loses. (e.g. Scotland two times in a row, Samoa etc.) Also I generally find Argentina is a bit of an unknown, especially when they're playing in Argentina.. Should be interesting to see how well the Tri-Nations teams adapt to that situation. They'll probably get beaten pretty confortably abroad though.. However, it's a great experience for them and can only improve their rugby in the long term.

breakaway

Calm down Tito. I think the comments on here about the commentators are mostly friendly and saying that they enjoy the difference in style. And I don't think you can seriously claim that the Pumas are the only players who are proud to play for their country, I guarantee it's the same feeling for anyone playing test rugby.

norsk_kiwi

Don't forget the Australian commentators. I think they are great. Extremely one eyed, but are completely open and honest about it and don't take themselves too seriously. SA commentators will watch someone perform an eye gouging and go silent. Not sure how the Tri Nations teams will react to the crowds in Argentina. Looked pretty mad over there.

cheyanqui

the commentator sounded like he was the voice of the Budweiser "Wazzup" ad

pretzel

They'll get punished in the Tri-Nations... Last time I checked the NH weren't in the Tri-Nations competition...

• Notice: Trying to get property 'data' of non-object in /var/www/html/php/vo/Comment.php on line 19
  • While he exagerates with the in the kicking, I'd rather have this commentator or the french top14 ones than the boring, and sometimes annoyingly bias english ones. There's a welsh that isn't all bad too, but generally english and south african commentary is dismal. No emotion and a grunt-fest from start to finish

reality

I love the way he concentrates so hard on the conversions that he forgets to finish speaking while the ball's in the air. Rugbydump: I, and I don't think I'm alone here, demand more highlights in Spanish.

pretzel

Whilst I think the "extended Tri-Nations" will help Argentina further develop their rugby, I still feel sorry for them... I can't see them doing anything other than getting spanked for the next few years...

ando

Try try try try tryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

technomouse

Best commentary ever. Just imagine if Damien Traille scored a try.

• The commentator enjoys his conversions! Morgaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnn Felipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Although the last one goes a bit astray! Felipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaoaoaoaahhhhhhhhhh

Great Tries

Big Hits & Dirty Play

See It To Believe It

Funnies

Training Videos

Player Features

Argentina snatch victory from France with late try in Cordoba | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos